Author: Bagher Ayatollahzadeh Shirzai
Chief Editor: Eskandar Mokhtari
Translator: Nassim Ghiassi
Publisher: Cultural Research Bureau
Subject: Iranian Studies (Tehran city)
Date of Publication: 2017 (1st edition)
No. of Pages: 40
Size: 19 × 12 cm
◙Sample English text is available.
◙ Copyright is available in all languages in all countries.
◙ This book is covered by the Grant Program of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
About the Book:
Mas’udieh Garden used to be one of the garden-mansions of Dowlat Neighborhood in northern Tehran during the Nâserid era. The property was built in 1878 by Mirzâ Mas’ud, a son of Nâsereddin Shah’s.
According to Najmoddowleh’s map of Tehran (1891) and some other historical documents, Mas’udieh Garden used to cover an area of 40 thousand square meters. What is referred to as Mas’udieh Garden today is in fact the western half of the former garden, covering an area of 15 thousand square meters.
The book in hand is the 16th volume of a twenty-title series published as an output of Tehran Studies Project at Cultural Research Bureau. These books were designed to provide both authentic and interesting reading material on the historical, architectural and cultural aspects of Tehran’s prominent monuments and urban spaces. The series was recently translated into English for English-speakers willing to expand their knowledge about the history of the present Iranian capital.
Table of Contents:
- Preliminary review of historical documents
- Location and boundaries of Mas’udieh Portal
- Monuments included in Mas’udieh Complex
- The entire complex at a glance
A brief description of Mas’udieh Complex
- Original mansions and new buildings
- Building area
- Dated inscriptions in the monuments and other historical documents
Major changes made to Mas’udieh Complex
- The changes made and the reasons for them
- A brief overview of interventions between 1923 and 1998
About the Author:
Seyyed Bagher Ayatollahzadeh Shirazi (1936/Najaf, Iraq – 2007/Tehran, Iran) received his MA in Architecture in 1963 from the College of Fine Arts, Tehran University. He continued his studies in Italy and received his PhD in Restoration of Historic Monuments and Fabrics in 1971 from the College of Architecture, Rome University.
He was in charge of research, planning and implementation of hundreds of restoration and preservation projects around Iran from 1953 till 2007. He served as the Deputy Manager and Vice President of the Iranian Cultural Heritage Organization from 1987 till 2000. He was also Head of Iran ICOMOS and a member of its founding board, as well as a founder of the Iranian Cultural Heritage Organization. Among his many scientific roles were: scientific secretary of several international and national conferences, founder and editor-in-chief of Asar Quarterly which included around 6,000 pages on cultural heritage subjects in its 41 published issues, and professor of architecture and restoration at several universities in Tehran, Kerman and Isfahan from 1976 till 2007. He also received many awards and acknowledgements from Iranian organizations, as well as the International Award for Architecture for the planning and implementation of restoration projects of Hasht-behesht, Aliqâpu, and Chehelsotun in Isfahan in 1980, carried out in cooperation with the Italian Institute for Middle East and Far East.